Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deepworld is back online after a system outage. Thanks for your patience.

Forum issue

DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaPosts: 2,079Member
About two weeks ago I received a message on the forum and my inbox crashed. The person who sent the message said he attached a screenshot to the message (or maybe he meant he attached a link to one) and got an error message.

From that moment on every time I clicked the message button on the top of the forum, or clicked my inbox, I got this message:

After I got enough messaged, I am guessing, for that errored one not to show up when I click the mail button in the top right corner, it started opening, but I still can't enter my inbox. I can only access conversations directly, or the last few at the top. And I always have one unread message.

Anyone has any ideas how I could fix this issue? Can this message be somehow removed?
Also, if something like this is possible, does that mean a single person could crash people's inboxesby sending one message?

Comments

• SirentistSirentist Posts: 9,060Member, Moderator, Arbiter
    Who is the person who sent you the original message?

Did you have to click on the message before it crashed? Or did you have to click on the attached link? Or did the act of simply receiving the message (without trying to read it) cause the problem?

Have you tried accessing your inbox on other devices?

What happens when you type
    https://forums.deepworldgame.com/messages/inbox
    into the URL field and then hit return?
    Also, have you tried accessing your inbox via your profile page?
    (Trying to isolate if the problem is actually your inbox or if it's somehow a problem with using the drop-down menu in upper right of forum)
  • DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaPosts: 2,079Member
    edited February 20
    Amenazzy was sending me a screenshot in a message which he later posted on my wall.
    He said he got an error when he tried to send. Not sure what he did and how and I think he quit for a while, so can't ask him what exactly did he do.

I never opened the message, never seen it in my inbox or the tab. Every page on which the message could be seen crashes. Can't enter my inbox from anywhere on any device. Drop-down menu used to crash the site when I clicked it, when the message was there. Now that the message dropped down off the drop-down menu, I can click it.

The face on the error page sort of resembles mine right now...
    edited February 20
    More suggestions:

try a different browser
    (if this works, try deleting the message/image)

try logging out of forum
    delete all cookies/cache/history
    delete & reinstall browser

Probably none of this will help; seems like he put something into the screenshot itself that causes Vanilla to choke, which means it will choke no matter what browser or device you use.

I'll alert Mike & Jason to the problem but tbh I'm not sure they have the ability to get into your inbox to erase anything. Back in the old days, when I owned and ran a forum, even I couldn't access member PM boxes.

You said it was also on your wall? Is it still there? It *may* be possible for someone to delete the image, if its location on the server can be found. Not sure how all that works vis a vis Vanilla forum. I do have deletion abilities for some forum stuff, but for me to be able to even know if I can do anything, I'd need to know the URL of the image or attachment itself.

ETA: Never mind, I can see the image on your wall; I think he has posted it elsewhere as well. Seems to display properly. Not sure what went wrong but as I said, I'll give a holler to the powers-that-be. You should always be able to access your own inbox!
    edited February 20
    As you said, different browsers doesn't make a difference.

Here is the image. Just noticed that it is a .PNG - could this be the problem?

Not sure if this is the image he uploaded. He might have reuploaded it.
    Would be nice if you could delete all copies :)

How many messages does inbox contain on the first page? Maybe if lots of people write messages to me then the bad message will go on the second page and I will be able to enter my inbox once again?

Detech said:

How many messages does inbox contain on the first page? Maybe if lots of people write messages to me then the bad message will go on the second page and I will be able to enter my inbox once again?

50 messages

If you really want people to send you a bunch of messages, just say the word. I'm sure we'd all be happy to spam your inbox :)

Do we even have 50 active people on the forum? Lol

No but I will happily send you 50 messages in a row, lol
    Oh right. forgot it works that way.
    Please do if it's not too much trouble :)
    30-35 will do most likely :)
    LOL I created a temp forum account in order to send you all those messages so that I wouldn't lose my own lineup of recents in the pull-down menu. But of course applicants don't have message-sending privileges. D'oh!

People of deepwold, please all send me 1-2 messages. Just write one word, the one that comes to mind when you think of me. That way you can help me unbreak my inbox, and I will learn new things about myself :)

Detech, check your latest message from me. You can just send out 35 messages to the temp forum account. It will have the same effect, I think.
    I can, but. ..

Lol
    20190222_110851.jpg
    1080 x 720 - 189K
    edited February 22
    LOL you spammer! Seriously, though, maybe just slow it down a little, then?

ETA: or try going back and forth between a couple different recipients?
    I can send 2 messages every time I am logged on lol
    I'd like to point out that even if you're in a message conversation with one other person, and that person leaves the conversation, leaving you alone, and you start talking to yourself via additional messages, you'll get the spam block. So if you want to talk to yourself in a "Just you" PM, make sure to type long paragraphs that will take you longer than 30 seconds to read or write. Or have long, meaningful pauses before each additional thought.

This has been a public service announcement from someone who may or may not have given herself a spam block by chatting herself up in a "Just you" PM.
    Thank you Sirentist for fixing my inbox!
    An example of when someone goes that extra mile to fix an issue LOL

Thanks to everyone else who messaged me lol.

Now I wonder if I can somehow erase that one message :)))
    Sirntist fixed forum.jpg
    1392 x 990 - 495K
    edited February 23
    Detech said:

Thank you Sirentist for fixing my inbox!
    An example of when someone goes that extra mile to fix an issue LOL

Thanks to everyone else who messaged me lol.

Now I wonder if I can somehow erase that one message :)))

It was actually kind of fun, and I was happy to do it.

My guess is if you try to go to the next page of your inbox to remove the offending message, you're gonna get the error message again. But it's worth a try! I don't think it will screw up your ability to view the first page of your inbox.

I'd be careful deleting anything from the first page of your inbox, though...

Glad you can at least view your inbox sort-of normally now.

To view old messages, you should be able to use this url:

http://forums.deepworldgame.com/messages/all/p3

and just change page the number at the end...
    Yep second page has an error :)
    Weird bug.

Thanks again :) :)