Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deepworld is back online after a system outage. Thanks for your patience.

SHOULD WE RESET THE GAME ?

Comments

• ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Posts: 2,924Member
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING
    Too bad this isn't a Minecraft server.
    A data wipe is simply not going to happen.
  • IvoryIvory r/Deepworld ModeratorPosts: 109Member
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING
    EXPGaming said:

Detech said:

I won't even explain why this is a bad idea.
    Also, not wanting a reset =/= wanting to keep duping in the game and it's very unfair to think that.

I agree, poll is not objective in that sence.
    Totally disagree with game reset. Years of work went into some of the worlds in this game!
    Once again. Your fault for putting hard work into a dead game. What do you accomplish from this? Creativity i get but there’s nothing to show off.
    That's kind of a dumb thing to say dude.
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING
    Everywhen said:

A full reset is out of the question, I'd speculate.

It would be incredibly unfair to the majority of the community, who have invested time and money into Deepworld.

As I've said before, the issue remains to be a relatively small group of players who don't give a @#$%^&; about other people, and break the game.

If you really want to help, then please keep reporting these people to Sirentist or Myself so that we can attempt to fix part of the problem.

/thread
  • _CRYSTAL_KING__CRYSTAL_KING_ Posts: 111Member
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING
    AMWhy said:

To start with, I'm an onyx moon. I've spent a lot of cash on this game.

I would be very happy to see a complete restart.

Why? First off, the game is already ruined. The market has been diluted to the point where nothing is rare any more. Removing only the duped items is impossible now so we are down to four choices:

1. Continue as we are. Onyx is common for all players and an lsj is nothing special.
    2. Create new rare items to collect. The problem with this is that the dupers have already got the most wealth so would be able to buy these at inflated prices from the start. The market might settle after a while but will the game survive long enough for that?
    3. Make Deepworld 2*. That would involve a ton of work that Mike doesn't have the time to do.
    4. Reset the game.

Now a blanket reset wouldn't work. No builder would want to see their creations gone. The answer is quite easy though.

1. Block the patchers. A reset is pointless if players can still cheat.
    2. Freeze all current worlds. Make them all non-player owned and protected. This will preserve all current builds and stop people hoarding rares.
    3. Reset all player stats. Give each player the number of crowns they have spent in-game**

Now for me, that works. But we are missing an opportunity here. One reason that a lot of players quit is because they have done everything in the game. With a reset, the whole game becomes fresh for everyone. A reason low-level players quit is because the tutorial isn't great and then you are thrown into an unfriendly world. As such, I'd suggest a six-month period now where we all work as hard as hell to make the perfect Welcome world and the perfect Market world. During that time, Mike makes a few new items. Perhaps a mob or two and the release of the jungle biome that he has all the textures for. He also adds a low level world (only levels 1-20 can go there) that often regenerates fresh items to mine.

Then upon reset, advertise like crazy and blanket email all current members. Call it Deepworld 2*

*Or Deepworld 3. We are already on version 2.something

**Or a percentage of

When first I saw this poll, my initial reaction was "What the hell? No way!" - but having read through @AMWhy 's reasoning I can definitely see how it would benefit the game, and I certainly would be open to the idea.

With that said, I'm sure the majority of the community wouldn't take kindly to all their hard work being deleted...
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSPosts: 2,847Member
    edited May 9
    ITEMS RESET
    Actually, Mike has a real job. He can do whatever he wants with this game. I don’t care anymore.
    edited May 10
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING

AMWhy said:

Why? First off, the game is already ruined. The market has been diluted to the point where nothing is rare any more. Removing only the duped items is impossible now so we are down to four choices:

1. Continue as we are. Onyx is common for all players and an lsj is nothing special.
    2. Create new rare items to collect. The problem with this is that the dupers have already got the most wealth so would be able to buy these at inflated prices from the start. The market might settle after a while but will the game survive long enough for that?
    3. Make Deepworld 2*. That would involve a ton of work that Mike doesn't have the time to do.
    4. Reset the game.

Now a blanket reset wouldn't work. No builder would want to see their creations gone. The answer is quite easy though.

2. Freeze all current worlds. Make them all non-player owned and protected. This will preserve all current builds and stop people hoarding rares.
    3. Reset all player stats. Give each player the number of crowns they have spent in-game**

Now for me, that works. But we are missing an opportunity here. One reason that a lot of players quit is because they have done everything in the game. With a reset, the whole game becomes fresh for everyone. A reason low-level players quit is because the tutorial isn't great and then you are thrown into an unfriendly world. As such, I'd suggest a six-month period now where we all work as hard as hell to make the perfect Welcome world and the perfect Market world. During that time, Mike makes a few new items. Perhaps a mob or two and the release of the jungle biome that he has all the textures for. He also adds a low level world (only levels 1-20 can go there) that often regenerates fresh items to mine.

Then upon reset, advertise like crazy and blanket email all current members. Call it Deepworld 2*

**Or a percentage of

When first I saw this poll, my initial reaction was "What the hell? No way!" - but having read through @AMWhy 's reasoning I can definitely see how it would benefit the game, and I certainly would be open to the idea.

With that said, I'm sure the majority of the community wouldn't take kindly to all their hard work being deleted...
    So you support:

-Not removing people's buildings, but just making them non-player owned. What's the point in that and how is it different from removing them altogether since they can't be worked on or used for the desired intent of the owner?

-Giving people back all the crowns they spent, which earned a lot of money for the devs. Why would you buy X amount of crowns, spend them, and then get them back? Kind of reminds me of Mr. Krabs tying a string to his quarter so he can yank it out of the vending machine.

-Freezing all worlds (including those that were bought by players and thus have many items and time invested in them) will prevent people from hoarding, except that they will buy another world and hoard the new rares.

-Complaining about nothing having value anymore because everyone has everything (not true) sounds like communism has become the fate of the game, and that's what happens with unlimited resources, and you can't avoid that in a game like this.

-Probably an important issue: segregating level groups. I don't think I would have done as well in the game if I was barred from people like @Grebebe @toadlover @JakeTD @bal etc. They were a huge source of learning and sure there are a few people I won't name that are not great folks to be playing with, but it's easy to not interact with them. If you are a high level player and you are only allowed to be around high levels, you have literally just created the very space you are trying to reset- people hoarding the rares and everyone's been there done that, and not allowing fresh faces into that social circle will make your hatred of sameness worse!

Honestly what people are suggesting is a new game, not a new version/clean slate. If you make a new game that's one thing, but erasing everything and doing everything all over again is literally the same thing as making a new account, and everyone can already do that so what's the point in changing everything if you can relive the experience and work up to the top tier?

• AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationPosts: 1,268Member, Arbiter
    WE WANT A HARD RESET ( worlds, items, game stats )

@Ivory I think you need to read my post again. Your assessment is so wrong it's embarrassing.

All worlds would be frozen. You would be able to visit your current creations but not edit them. This change won't happen overnight so you would have plenty of time to set them up as you wish (with name signs proving it is your creation if you really want).

The players who owned those worlds would get their crowns back so could easily buy a replacement world and build fresh - either new content or even the same again if they were so inclined.

Giving back the crowns (or a percentage of) would be important for the returning players. This is because all of the items you have bought with them (worlds / accessories / clothing) would be gone in the reset. The alternative, not giving crowns, would never hold.

How does this help Mike? That comes with the relaunch and advertising - i.e. - new players - who buy crowns.

Your next two paragraphs make little sense. The reset would come with patching fixed and duped items removed. The market would be restored to normal. Players buying new worlds and hoarding the items... That's what happens anyway? Where is the problem with that? Hoarding isn't an issue. Duped items that have diluted the market beyond repair are.

Segregating level groups???? Who said anything about segregation? What I said was a new player world for players level 1-20 that regenerates so they can learn the game. There would be nothing to stop those low level players moving to any other world. Quite the opposite. The higher level players are effectively the ones restricted as they would not be able to visit (and prey on) the low level players and their world. This is exactly the same as the game is now with the world HMS ThingyMeBob, just with the level raised higher.

As far as learning from experienced players - that is a good suggestion. Perhaps the low-level world could be monitored by a handful of helpful players (like Sirentist and Everywhen).

I understand the resentment to resetting the game and losing progress but please come up with coherent and valid reasons why the suggestion is not a good one. My suggestion would do four things:

-solve the duped items problem

-fix the market

-give new content and refreshed content for current/old players

-inject new players into the game.

As on onyx crow/ onyx moon with 30+ worlds of content, that all sounds good to me.

edited May 10
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING
    AMWhy said:

@Ivory I think you need to read my post again. Your assessment is so wrong it's embarrassing.

All worlds would be frozen. You would be able to visit your current creations but not edit them. This change won't happen overnight so you would have plenty of time to set them up as you wish (with name signs proving it is your creation if you really want).

The players who owned those worlds would get their crowns back so could easily buy a replacement world and build fresh - either new content or even the same again if they were so inclined.

Giving back the crowns (or a percentage of) would be important for the returning players. This is because all of the items you have bought with them (worlds / accessories / clothing) would be gone in the reset. The alternative, not giving crowns, would never hold.

How does this help Mike? That comes with the relaunch and advertising - i.e. - new players - who buy crowns.

Your next two paragraphs make little sense. The reset would come with patching fixed and duped items removed. The market would be restored to normal. Players buying new worlds and hoarding the items... That's what happens anyway? Where is the problem with that? Hoarding isn't an issue. Duped items that have diluted the market beyond repair are.

Segregating level groups???? Who said anything about segregation? What I said was a new player world for players level 1-20 that regenerates so they can learn the game. There would be nothing to stop those low level players moving to any other world. Quite the opposite. The higher level players are effectively the ones restricted as they would not be able to visit (and prey on) the low level players and their world. This is exactly the same as the game is now with the world HMS ThingyMeBob, just with the level raised higher.

As far as learning from experienced players - that is a good suggestion. Perhaps the low-level world could be monitored by a handful of helpful players (like Sirentist and Everywhen).

I understand the resentment to resetting the game and losing progress but please come up with coherent and valid reasons why the suggestion is not a good one. My suggestion would do four things:

-solve the duped items problem

-fix the market

-give new content and refreshed content for current/old players

-inject new players into the game.

As on onyx crow/ onyx moon with 30+ worlds of content, that all sounds good to me.

My dude, you can't say things without elaboration, e.g 1-20 level worlds, and then say "Oh man it's embarrassing you can't analyze a post". You just asked me what's wrong with hoarding rares, after you said, " This will preserve all current builds and stop people hoarding rares.".

At the beginning of your reply, you said that the change wouldn't happen overnight yadda yadda you can't edit them. Okay? I just said that you couldn't, and you're not exactly giving us a reason as to why that is a good idea (ironic you want better reasoning but you don't offer any). If I spent time getting money, then spending it on crowns to buy a world, and then losing access to said private world, why would I want to stick around exactly? I get the compensation via crowns but that doesn't give me access to all the time and progress embodied by builds and terraformed landscape. This isn't like the real world where you build a tower, slap your name on it and move on, this is a game that allows constant change and improvement so the tower can become more.

Those four suggestions at the end of your comment are things we've been discussing since before you joined these forums, but for some reason you didn't exactly include your Thanos-esque erasure of belongings, worlds, and hard-earned experience.

I think you ought to read your own post so you don't contradict yourself, make a fool of yourself by even mentioning coherence, and stop being sour about other players having just as much as you, because it seems like that's what you're frustrated about since you mention hoarding rares and owning a lot of stuff, and others need to stop doing that.
  • AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationPosts: 1,268Member, Arbiter
    edited May 10

My dude, you can't say things without elaboration, e.g 1-20 level worlds, and then say "Oh man it's embarrassing you can't analyze a post". You just asked me what's wrong with hoarding rares, after you said, " This will preserve all current builds and stop people hoarding rares.".

At the beginning of your reply, you said that the change wouldn't happen overnight yadda yadda you can't edit them. Okay? I just said that you couldn't, and you're not exactly giving us a reason as to why that is a good idea (ironic you want better reasoning but you don't offer any). If I spent time getting money, then spending it on crowns to buy a world, and then losing access to said private world, why would I want to stick around exactly? I get the compensation via crowns but that doesn't give me access to all the time and progress embodied by builds and terraformed landscape. This isn't like the real world where you build a tower, slap your name on it and move on, this is a game that allows constant change and improvement so the tower can become more.

Those four suggestions at the end of your comment are things we've been discussing since before you joined these forums, but for some reason you didn't exactly include your Thanos-esque erasure of belongings, worlds, and hard-earned experience.

I think you ought to read your own post so you don't contradict yourself, make a fool of yourself by even mentioning coherence, and stop being sour about other players having just as much as you, because it seems like that's what you're frustrated about since you mention hoarding rares and owning a lot of stuff, and others need to stop doing that.
    Yeah... I'm not even going to warrant this with a reply. So much wrong I don't have the time or energy to address it. All I'll say is read my original post on page one of this thread (Which I don't think you have read at all). Enjoy!
    "Those four suggestions at the end of your comment are things we've been discussing since before you joined these forums, but for some reason you didn't exactly include your Thanos-esque erasure of belongings, worlds, and hard-earned experience."

Ivory: Joined the forum in January 2018.
    AMWhy: Joined the forum in December 2014.

LOL!
    edited May 10
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING
    AMWhy said:

"Those four suggestions at the end of your comment are things we've been discussing since before you joined these forums, but for some reason you didn't exactly include your Thanos-esque erasure of belongings, worlds, and hard-earned experience."

LOL!

My guy, I was gone for a year and my only option to return was to begin over again in the forums since Lisa was not available to speak with. I joined in mid 2013 before making a new forums account before name changes were a thing, you're almost 2 years later. Ask players older than you like the ones I mentioned earlier and ask about Belator or Algoryx.

LOL!

• TescosTescos SawConPosts: 259Member
    ITEMS RESET
    Ivory said:

AMWhy said:

4. Reset the game.

**Or a percentage of

So you support:

-Not removing people's buildings, but just making them non-player owned. What's the point in that and how is it different from removing them altogether since they can't be worked on or used for the desired intent of the owner?

-Giving people back all the crowns they spent, which earned a lot of money for the devs. Why would you buy X amount of crowns, spend them, and then get them back? Kind of reminds me of Mr. Krabs tying a string to his quarter so he can yank it out of the vending machine.

-Freezing all worlds (including those that were bought by players and thus have many items and time invested in them) will prevent people from hoarding, except that they will buy another world and hoard the new rares.

-Complaining about nothing having value anymore because everyone has everything (not true) sounds like communism has become the fate of the game, and that's what happens with unlimited resources, and you can't avoid that in a game like this.

-Probably an important issue: segregating level groups. I don't think I would have done as well in the game if I was barred from people like @Grebebe @toadlover @JakeTD @bal etc. They were a huge source of learning and sure there are a few people I won't name that are not great folks to be playing with, but it's easy to not interact with them. If you are a high level player and you are only allowed to be around high levels, you have literally just created the very space you are trying to reset- people hoarding the rares and everyone's been there done that, and not allowing fresh faces into that social circle will make your hatred of sameness worse!

Honestly what people are suggesting is a new game, not a new version/clean slate. If you make a new game that's one thing, but erasing everything and doing everything all over again is literally the same thing as making a new account, and everyone can already do that so what's the point in changing everything if you can relive the experience and work up to the top tier?

You clearly dont play the game anymore.. lmao
    edited May 10
    Ivory said:

AMWhy said:

LOL!

My guy, I was gone for a year and my only option to return was to begin over again in the forums since Lisa was not available to speak with. I joined in mid 2013 before making a new forums account before name changes were a thing, you're almost 2 years later. Ask players older than you like the ones I mentioned earlier and ask about Belator or Algoryx.

LOL!

Oh, forgive me for not realising that your comment made no sense. Of course you were discussing the 2018/19 dupe problem and 2019 broken market back in early 2014 because that makes sense...

Look, I'll say it again. Come up with a coherent argument why a total reset would be a problem and we can talk. If there was a way to fix things without a reset then I'd jump at the chance. Everyone would. However, untangling hundreds or thousands of trades... It's not going to happen. A hard reset is not only the only solution, it's also the best one for rejuvenating the game, if it's done correctly.
  • EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WPosts: 5,119Member, Moderator, Arbiter
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING

Play nice

• DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaPosts: 2,132Member
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING

I don't think freezing people's worlds is a good idea. Almost every builder in deepworld has a world that they keep growing and evolving all these years. I am sure racerdog would not be happy if Eldotread would all of the sudden be frozen.

NO RESET/KEEP DUPING
    AMWhy said:

Ivory said:

AMWhy said:

LOL!

LOL!

Oh, forgive me for not realising that your comment made no sense. Of course you were discussing the 2018/19 dupe problem and 2019 broken market back in early 2014 because that makes sense...

Look, I'll say it again. Come up with a coherent argument why a total reset would be a problem and we can talk. If there was a way to fix things without a reset then I'd jump at the chance. Everyone would. However, untangling hundreds or thousands of trades... It's not going to happen. A hard reset is not only the only solution, it's also the best one for rejuvenating the game, if it's done correctly.
    I mean, it's not, and appreciate that you're able to talk about coherence or lack thereof in my posts without actually saying how even after the fact that I caught you being contradictory in yours, but whatever dude you'll learn. If you want to take everything and everyone's investments it really makes me wonder what you lost to make everyone eat a rag and let it happen to them.

@Everywhen Will do

@Tescos I've still done much for the game, in the game, and with its folks, so my opinion is quite valid.

This seems to be going into semantics so if you want to debate this then take it to DMs, but don't be sending mixed signals because, like I said, I've caught you doing it here in public already.
    edited May 11

@Ivory You are so far off he mark he that I'm ignoring your posts from now on.

Alright, let's see the options we have going forward:

Do nothing: Players keep their items and worlds. They can continue building but trading is pointless and the market is broken. Rares hardly exist. Cheaters win.

Reset player items: Aware and smart players dump their inventories in a world. Pick them up after reset. Utterly pointless and only serves to anger the players who didn't dump their inventories.

Hard reset: Fixes duped items problem but angers the builders. Thousands of hours of work lost.

Hard reset with worlds frozen: Same as hard reset but at least the old worlds still exist. They may not be editable but that looks like the price we are going to have to pay to get the game back.

@Detech said:

"I don't think freezing people's worlds is a good idea. Almost every builder in deepworld has a world that they keep growing and evolving all these years. I am sure racerdog would not be happy if Eldotread would all of the sudden be frozen."

To me, the hard reset with worlds frozen is the best option by a long way. It's a big sacrifice and far from perfect though and if anyone can suggest better then I'm happy to listen.

edited May 11
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING
    AMWhy said:

@Ivory You are so far off he mark he that I'm ignoring your posts from now on.

Alright, let's see the options we have going forward:

Do nothing: Players keep their items and worlds. They can continue building but trading is pointless and the market is broken. Rares hardly exist. Cheaters win.

Reset player items: Aware and smart players dump their inventories in a world. Pick them up after reset. Utterly pointless and only serves to anger the players who didn't dump their inventories.

Hard reset: Fixes duped items problem but angers the builders. Thousands of hours of work lost.

Hard reset with worlds frozen: Same as hard reset but at least the old worlds still exist. They may not be editable but that looks like the price we are going to have to pay to get the game back.

@Detech said:

"I don't think freezing people's worlds is a good idea. Almost every builder in deepworld has a world that they keep growing and evolving all these years. I am sure racerdog would not be happy if Eldotread would all of the sudden be frozen."

To me, the hard reset with worlds frozen is the best option by a long way. It's a big sacrifice and far from perfect though and if anyone can suggest better then I'm happy to listen.

Can you justify your suggestions beyond the "world dump"? I mean honestly, be mature here and substantiate what you say because not once have you preceded "lol you're making no sense" with examples of that, and I know you know people can see this conversation so what's the point in acting so smug about it? It's silly and I bet at this point you are enjoying listening to your keyboard clack. You can learn a lot by admitting you're wrong or even trying to come up with why you think the way you do.

To address your "best option" again, why would we want our worlds frozen in place, exactly? The markets are going to remain there as markets so your annoyance with that remains unresolved, and all people get to do is stare at their things, thinking about how much more improvement could have taken place or perhaps it could have been transplanted.

I promise you have no idea what it's like to lose everything you have, yet still be able to visit it at any time and wonder what could have been. I do, and it's annoying as hell because I know exactly what each world took to earn and form to my vision, and not to mention how many items are in each that I spent even more time trying to barter for and find in the dirt.

Again, you can totally be mature here and address what I say point by point as I have done with each of your comments and perhaps get this going somewhere in the general direction of productive, you can say silly things about me being off base without the effort consisting of a few seconds of typing and elaborating on a small thought (and because you didn't yet, I assume it was never a founded thought, just baseless lol), or you can be just as immature and play the quiet game and not DM me to sort it out. Your call boi.
  • MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesPosts: 3,120Member

At this point further argument isn't really needed. If anything was going to happen, it's the game shutting down. That is 100% more likely to happen than simply removing all progress.

It's also an incredibly logical step to take. Essentially destroying all progress in the game, worlds left intact or not, would result in many many players quitting, (not that deepworld has many players left) . You all seem to forget, everyone would be set back to level 0, with no items. You would all have to grind your way back to your current level, back to your current tools.. There is nothing more boring in an MMO than re-leveling to Max level, trust me on that.

@Multarix sadly you are right that the most likely thing that will happen is the game dying. It doesn't have have to though. We all know the game is much better than the current playerbase suggests. What it needs is a good advertising campaign. But not in the current state - no one will start playing the game with the current game-climate. That needs sorting first and the only logical way to do it is with a clean slate.

I'd say we are at the point with DW that we either die quietly on morphine (don't change anything) or cut off an arm hoping a new limb will grow (reset with frozen worlds).

Of course, if Mike can't get to the the bottom of the duping bug then we don't have any choice - the morphine it is...

"There is nothing more boring in an MMO than re-leveling to Max level, trust me on that."

While often true, many players in DW have created an alt account to do exactly this.

@Ivory I'm respecting everywhen's request.

• MultarixMultarix Over a rainbow with kittens and ponies dancing around a fire built upon the corpses of their enemiesPosts: 3,120Member

No, Advertising for Deepworld in its current state, or with a few updates will not bring enough players, especially as Mike only seems to think Facebook advertising is how to advertise for a game.

The game is also most certainly in as bad a shape as it would appear, trying to claim otherwise just puts you in denial. The game has less than 30 players per day, and I'd wager less than 50-100 players per week. That is not a profitable existence, in fact, it's hardly an existence at all. I don't think you truly grasp the concept that the game is at a point where it cannot and will not make a meaningful comeback.

When, and it really is a matter of when, not if, when it comes to it, I'd suggest Mike make a "single player" version of the game, similar to how Junk Jack manages worlds, with potentially the ability for peer-peer connection for 1-4 person multiplayer. via either Bluetooth, Local Network or over the internet.

Furthermore, creating an alt account is also not the same as actually resetting everything forcefully, and having no ability to use another account to simply give yourself any advantage while leveling. You're also expecting all the people who have no desire to level alts, for obvious reasons, to now go and re-level, with to incentive to actually even do this. You would literally destroy the dwindling population by ~50-90%. Maybe for a few months you might see an increase to game population, but ultimately most people will have no desire to play. People would very much be inclined to just go play a completely new game that has a higher population. You overestimate the sense of loyalty to a game gamers have.

• Monsieur_JackMonsieur_Jack California-ParisPosts: 315Member
    edited May 11
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING
    -
    Post edited by Monsieur_Jack on
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING
    If you mean the deletion of all items in the game by the reset; I‘m afraid, as Everywhen has said, it must be out of question. It seems like some have already settled their mind with this option, which sounds quite selfish and unsophisticated. We have spent years with this game; we are not arguing whether if it was right or wrong. But it’s clear that there is a huge effort and disregarding this would be quite inhuman. One must distinguish the causes and outcomes meticulously while solving a problem. You can’t solve a problem without treating the causes and you shouldn’t create new outcomes. Deletion of the items would double the outcomes. It’s not gonna stop the duplication, and it will cost you a great deal of playerbase.
    Apart from that, let’s say you have done all the process and since it’s a fresh new game, you’ll need new players and quite frankly, nobody would play such game that would create inconvenience because of it’s past. If you want to revive this game, treat the causes. This issue need attentiveness. Despite all of this, I’m not sure if developers are interested in this game anymore since they have new projects etc. Lastly, I’m not sure if this question will be held seriously, but in such case there must be a democratic decisioning progress taking place. It is very said that the first reason was the lack of consideration.
  • GlobeGlobe Eating Lisa's brainPosts: 1,271Member
    I'm going to have to agree with @AMWhy, maybe a certain few players should be allowed to access their building worlds though.
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSPosts: 2,847Member
    ITEMS RESET
    Globe said:

I'm going to have to agree with AMWhy, maybe a certain few players should be allowed to access their building worlds though.

Dibs.
    edited May 11
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING
    Gosh you people are insane. “Let‘s go and destroy the game even further including the huge effort given to it, hurray!” If you fancy to kill the game for second time, please go ahead and reset the game. Say goodbye to your past and future player base, such inconvenience will do it for you. Many of us have spent 7 years in this game; system malfunction could justify this, but one achieved by people? No, it wouldn’t. Lastly, to point out once more, it won’t solve the duplication. Yoi’ll confront yourself with another problem, but it will be greater of course.

Agreed. Which is why drastic steps need to be taken first. (Like my first post in this thread).

Here is a Q and A on the state of the game.

Can we just remove the dupes?

No. Mike can guess what items are dupes but too much time has passed and errors will be made.

Can we just do an item reset while keeping our worlds?

No. Placed items include dupes. This would just anger players who didn't place their items before the reset.

Can we just ban the worlds owned by the dupers?

No. We don't know who all the dupers are due to the ease with which new accounts can be created. Also, This wouldn't fix the problem of the game being overflooded with dupes - that is, the market would still be broken.

So is the only option a complete reset?

Yes. At least, no one has suggested an alternative so far. But only if the duping problem is fixed first. If that can't be stopped then the game isn't already done for.

So let's say we stop the duping. Then what?

The game is reset.

Everything?

Well, when you really get into it, this is the first piece of good news. A total reset would make sense in one situation (see Deepworld 2 below) but it doesn't have to be that way. Instead, just the items could be reset. That is, all onyx, crystals, wood, etc. would be removed from your inventory. Your inventory would be wiped clean. Of course, it doesn't even have to be that drastic. Mike could opt to allow players to keep their building materials as they currently stand. He could opt to only remove certain items - those that have definitely duped.

Definitely duped? That's good isn't it?

Not quite. For example Hunter Heads have definitely been duped. But which ones are the dupes? We have no way to tell for sure so ALL Hunter Heads would have to be removed.

What about the player's clothes and level?

Again, there is no reason that these need to be wiped at all. Both clothes and level cannot be duped or traded, so there isn't no reason that these cannot be preserved.

How about player owned worlds?

This is the first real kick in the teeth. In order to restore the game, ALL player worlds would need to be locked. There is no way to fix the game without this step. Exceptions could be made for certain worlds - but each of those world series would have to be examined by Mike for anything dubious. Too many Notches placed? World locked. Too much onyx placed? World locked. The only quick solution would be to lock everything. This is to prevent the dupers and those who own duped goods from placing their illegal items and then picking them up again after the reset. The freezing of worlds is the price we would have to pay for getting Deepworld fixed.

What about those players who spent real money on deepworld?

Crowns are either bought for cash or earned through TapJoy. In both cases, each player would have to be redeemed with the number of crowns that they had spent in the game. (I am unaware of any crown exploits or patches to grant a player extra crowns - If such an exploit does exist then the number of crowns given would have to be limited to those bought with cash).

All of the crowns would be redeemed?

This is a good question and would need further discussion. It might make sense to only redeem a percentage of the amount spent.

Did you say something about deepworld 2?

Yes. The changes I've proposed would drastically change the game as it is. This could be the perfect opportunity to create Deepworld 2. It would be an opportunity to recruit new players through advertising, and entice old players to return through new content.

New Content?

Mike already has textures for a new Jungle world ready. Releasing that world, along with some new mobs and items, as well as the reset, would allow the game to be branded as Deepworld 2. That could be easily advertised for new and old players. The opportunity to restart the game and gain a new playerbase is huge. But it would come with a cost. With a new branding it would also make sense to reset player stats and all player items.

Deepworld 2 or not... But builders don't want their worlds frozen...

True, they don't. Frozen means they can't be edited or further refined. But as a builder myself I would happily sacrifice the many worlds I have made to refresh the game. The dupers and patchers have broken our game. This is the price that has been set for saving deepworld.

So This is the best option we have?

Sadly it's the only option we have. If anyone can improve it or suggest an alternative, then let see talk. At present this is the situation we are in.

NO RESET/KEEP DUPING
    Also, I think we must be aware of some circumstances. It’s not 2013 or 2015; it’s 2019. Mike’s vision is different; his concerns has changed. We players have changed. How many of us will welcome this “reset” willingly? What about Mike? What about the others? We can’t run this discussion apathetically.
    NO RESET/KEEP DUPING
    Globe said:

I'm going to have to agree with @AMWhy, maybe a certain few players should be allowed to access their building worlds though.

Rules for thee but not for me is what I am getting out of that. There's no actual reasoning behind freezing worlds and @AMWhy you can offer explanation without being snarky, but saying you're abiding by a request to play nice (not "don't talk to Ivory") only after I called you out a millionth time for not substantiating or offering reasoning for each suggestion is silly, especially since it took this long to get you to list out what you mean by each suggestion.

However, Mike can easily change the spawn rates for things, after all onyx isn't exactly easy to find so to have 10 or 20 in your inventory is pretty good, especially if it wasn't from someone else. If this entire thing was to happen at a certain time or at any time, just keep everything in the inventory and the world freeze will not harm people as much. With that said, instead of taking away everything from everyone except clothes, just slow things down a bit.