Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Sourcing the Deepworld Project

JusticeGamingJusticeGaming Doing cool programming thingsPosts: 1,019Member
Me, and several other people are deeply saddened to know a game we grew up around is coming to a close.
Deepworld was a huge inspiration to me and is one of the core things that led me into the world of video game development and more specifically, programming. I studied game programming through college and I now work for quite a large company and it's a ton of fun and it's mostly all thanks to Deepworld for showing me why making a game is a ton of fun, but also hard to manage when going for the long term without the time.

With all of that said, I would really like to ask Mike to consider uploading and open sourcing the Deepworld project to GitHub.

Why?
Mostly because I would like to revise it and understand how it handles it's architecture and data basing, it would give me a huge insight into how the inner workings were put together and how things worked. I could technically decompile the C# side of everything with a open source project like dnSpy but I'd much rather have the project to review(legally). TLDR; I would like to learn from it seeing as it started in another software and was ported over to Unity quite seamlessly and somehow able to manage cross software development while running an active server with millions(?) of users and their accounts safely stored and working realtime.

I would also like to see the project open sourced because it is of course, a 6 year old project, and for all that work to vanish would be a shame, but to have it open sourced it could be used as a tool to further peoples learning and understanding of mechanics this game holds. This also means a system to donate for the project could be put in place for potential side income so people who learned something could easily just send some money your way. GitHub is additionally free of charge as well so nothing negative would come from doing so, and it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to get an account and the repository together with the project pushed up.

I would be super appreciative if you would consider the offer Mike, if you need any help getting the project onto GitHub if you choose to open source it or if you need any assistance with programming, etc. in the present or future, please feel free to DM me over Discord at Robin#1000, I'm pretty well trained post college and with a some time in a professional industry environment.

Thank you for supporting Deepworld for so long and farewell to you, and the rest of the community!

Comments

• IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSPosts: 2,871Member
    I just need a chunk of code to know where to start.
  • Dr_DerpDr_Derp tejasPosts: 782Member
    I don't even need code. Just the art assets would be enough. I am totally fine with programming everything up myself.
  • iSpeakiSpeak MassachusettsPosts: 40Member

Who wouldn’t strip all sensitive information?

• jellysnakejellysnake http://jellysnake.net/Posts: 6,329Member
    I can +1 this and I'm involved into an open source organisation for games if that helps (The Terasology Foundation).

Even if say only a portion of the code is uploaded as a reference; IE, onto GitHub with no PR accepted; that would be a hugely appreciated effort.
  • AlphastormAlphastorm Dreamworld.Posts: 544Member

Honestly, legacy code or not, even the smallest, most insignificant snippets would be nice to have.

• DerpyDerpDerpyDerp BadDev#4290Posts: 40Member

I’ve made a private server (which is about 1-2 years old) but never updated it. Someone can take the project over if they want. Has all basic handles from back then (crafting, building, placing, spawning, trading,...)

• IvoryIvory r/Deepworld ModeratorPosts: 117Member
    I'm not too keen on what you're talking about, but are you suggesting a revival of sorts of the game (or trying to keep it on life support)? From what it sounds like, I'd say you are going to rework the game and keep it running with everyone's information in it.
    Ivory said:

I'm not too keen on what you're talking about, but are you suggesting a revival of sorts of the game (or trying to keep it on life support)? From what it sounds like, I'd say you are going to rework the game and keep it running with everyone's information in it.

Unfortunately we can't really copy over everyone's inventories as they're private and in Bytebin's servers. What we're working on right now is a (almost) carbon copy of their game servers, rewritten in Java so i can host them and keep the game alive.
  • jsonperljsonperl Posts: 193Administrator

I would be very interested in seeing this project!

@jsonperl Could you be so friendly and ask for Mike's opinion on open sourcing the project? I feel like i'm doing something wrong by replicating the server without someone's permission.
  • IvoryIvory r/Deepworld ModeratorPosts: 117Member
    DerpyDerp said:

Ivory said:

Unfortunately we can't really copy over everyone's inventories as they're private and in Bytebin's servers. What we're working on right now is a (almost) carbon copy of their game servers, rewritten in Java so i can host them and keep the game alive.
    That's pretty cool! I guess it'll be that reset some folks wanted but I will miss my infinite building materials.
  • AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationPosts: 1,277Member, Arbiter

Correction: No one wanted a reset - we just saw it as the only way forward for the game. It was all dependent on the duping being fixed, of course.

• JusticeGamingJusticeGaming Doing cool programming thingsPosts: 1,019Member
    I think if Deepworld truly got a proper open sourcing I would be more likely to go and fix some of its numerous problems(and maybe even push the fixes to the GitHub if they do decide to use it) and see if I could then go and compile it to work with Photon or other high level networking framework and make a local distribute-able for fun just so players who want to experience Deepworld(although without their past saves) could possibly get to with new features and long needed fixes. Although that all really depends on if the project is open sourced and the license allows such a thing, obviously purchasing and all that would be stripped down to a donation service so it is non commercial and the funds go towards the project, but still. Would make me super happy to open up a project I grew up around and use the knowledge I've accumulated over the years on said project to better it in ways and continue upon it if permitted.
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSPosts: 2,871Member
    Or Deepworld: Rebooted.
    I'm already working on a 'clone' of the current server se we can keep it online. Might fix patches later though.
    If anyone wants to help with it, hit me up on discord. BadDev#4290
  • iSpeakiSpeak MassachusettsPosts: 40Member
    iSpeak said:
    oops
    Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 15.28.30.png
    630 x 302 - 62K
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Posts: 2,942Member
    DerpyDerp said:

iSpeak said:
    oops
    is reborn the best you could come up with?