Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Sourcing the Deepworld Project

2»

Comments

• JusticeGamingJusticeGaming Doing cool programming thingsPosts: 1,022Member
    DerpyDerp said:

For proof (Haven't done all quests yet and all functionalities)

I'd like to branch off of this because this screenshot is in fact not proof in the slightest bit. Deepworld was developed in a Ruby environment where it then branched off into Unity, meaning to continue development you would need to be working in Unity while running a server on the backend because they did not take advantage of Unity's free server architecture. The fact you took a screenshot of a file folder with not a single thing to do with Unity only tells me you know how to decompile its assets(which isn't going to get you a private server or private client if I may add)

I'm a bit skeptical too because Unity packs everything into binaries and has some very heavy copyright on these binaries, meaning opening/ciphering them is not only very illegal but also a breach of their terms or service. With this in mind, there are also a ton of legal issues with hosting your own Deepworld so I'd watch out to make sure you don't get sued.

To summarize, that screenshot is nothing but a decompiled C# library, and not anything to do with actual dev, without a screenshot of Unity and the actual hosting of a server in a command prompt / linux solution I'm almost 90% sure you did nothing but open up dnSpy or a similar program and decompile(which won't get you what you need)
  • ItzDenniszItzDennisz Ñ͚̮̜͈̥̙͆̇Ư̥̰̓̚L̻̼̖̲̲̱̒͐͒̉̚L͎͙̲̗̝̯̑̔ͭ͡Posts: 2,950Member
    edited June 22

DerpyDerp said:

I'd like to branch off of this because this screenshot is in fact not proof in the slightest bit. Deepworld was developed in a Ruby environment where it then branched off into Unity, meaning to continue development you would need to be working in Unity while running a server on the backend because they did not take advantage of Unity's free server architecture. The fact you took a screenshot of a file folder with not a single thing to do with Unity only tells me you know how to decompile its assets(which isn't going to get you a private server or private client if I may add)

I'm a bit skeptical too because Unity packs everything into binaries and has some very heavy copyright on these binaries, meaning opening/ciphering them is not only very illegal but also a breach of their terms or service. With this in mind, there are also a ton of legal issues with hosting your own Deepworld so I'd watch out to make sure you don't get sued.

To summarize, that screenshot is nothing but a decompiled C# library, and not anything to do with actual dev, without a screenshot of Unity and the actual hosting of a server in a command prompt / linux solution I'm almost 90% sure you did nothing but open up dnSpy or a similar program and decompile(which won't get you what you need)
    What does Unity have to do with anything here?
    (don't get me wrong, I am just as skeptical as you are)
  • DerpyDerpDerpyDerp BadDev#4290Posts: 50Member
    edited June 22

DerpyDerp said:

You good my man? Not every back-end has to be the same language as the game. If you didnt know already. They use msgpack (https://msgpack.org/) which HAS a Java dependency. Next time please know what you're doing before commenting.

Also i don't know but Java doesn't seem to be any kind of branch off of C#.
  • derpdeederpdee Dark side of the moon.Posts: 1,217Member
    DerpyDerp said:

DerpyDerp said:

You good my man? Not every back-end has to be the same language as the game. If you didnt know already. They use msgpack (https://msgpack.org/) which HAS a Java dependency. Next time please know what you're doing before commenting.

It is the way he works with the f5 button...
    derpdee said:

DerpyDerp said:

DerpyDerp said:

It is the way he works with the f5 button...
    ?
    edited June 27

I got the protocol working with a bit of tweaking, but i’m really messing up with the world generation rn. Authentication is all done.

• X_Onyx_XX_Onyx_X Posts: 276Member

Any updates?

• JusticeGamingJusticeGaming Doing cool programming thingsPosts: 1,022Member
    edited August 3

If @JusticeGaming or someone wants to take a legitimate (and actually legal) shot at making a new deepworld, please hit me up. I would be willing to lend my services towards the project. I have extensive knowledge of both unity and c# as well as some rudimentary knowledge of servers and backend work.

If you're still up for it I would be totally willing to give it a shot, I've got a lot of experience all around the board when it comes to programming, VFX, tech art, game design, etc. As long as I'm not the one in charge of art I should be somewhat useful haha!

Anyone willing to lend a hand hit me up on Discord, my username is Robin#1000, if anyone wants to follow progress I may talk to Everywhen to see if he'd let us update progress in his Discord if we get a few people willing to work on the project

Still where i left it off. I got a paid commission right now and i’m prioritising that.