Testing out the quarry minigames has been fun thus far. Obviously there are still some kinks to work out, but I like the feeling of adrenaline it brings to the game.
I've done some work to expand the competitive aspect a little more, and I hope to launch that very shortly. Here's a summary of what to look out for:COMING SOON:
We're going to start by testing out Elo ratings
for minigames. If you've played Overwatch or PubG or any other games like that, you might be familiar with basic skill rating (SR) play. But here's an overview:
1. The first handful of games you play (approximately 5-10) are "qualifying games", where your starting skill rating is assessed.
2. When your qualification is over, you receive a skill rating (a number between 1-1000, for example), and a corresponding skill rank (Iron, Brass, Sapphire, etc.)
3. As you continue to play, your score goes up or down depending on how well you do. If you do well, you can bump yourself up into the next rank. We also track your "season high" skill rating, which is a nice thing to remember if your luck goes south for a while :D
Elo ratings involve some math that I don't really understand, but the gist of it is:
1. If you place better than players with similar ratings to you, you get a little score boost
2. If you place better than players with much better ratings than you, you get a BIG score boost.
3. Conversely, if you have a high rating and you lose to players with much worse ratings than you, your score goes down a lot.
1. There will be a mechanism to slowly decrease ratings so that players can't just get a super high score then quit as the "forever champion".
2. Our first experiment will be SEASON 1, and we'll change that up whenever we go "out of beta" with this feature. At that point, we might have regular seasons, etc.
3. Different minigames will maintain different ratings; you may be a Ruby Quarry player but a Brass Minesweeper player, etc.
4. SR leaderboards will be displayed on the codex!LONGER TERM:
1. An Order for players that place well, active per season. Incentive!
2. A multi-order icon so players can show off their membership in multiple orders at once
3. Better interface for minigames -- showing skill ratings and leaderboards in the social panel, for example
4. More minigame type experiments!
That's it for now ... thoughts?