Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our latest update has been released! Please leave us a nice review in the App Store if you have the time, thank you!

Server Update 2019.1: "Aviato"

mikelaurencemikelaurence New York CityPosts: 5,365Member, Administrator
Hey folks! As you are no doubt aware, I've been very busy with Real Life since the holidays. Over the last four years or so, I've had a full-time job as a software architect at an education company, which has had its busy points but was mostly a pretty chill job. This past December, though, I was promoted to a senior management position. As it turns out, that is good and bad! Good for career growth, bad for free time. Thus, Deepworld has not received the TLC that it deserves. That's just life, though, so we soldier on and do what we can.

Speaking of doing what I can, it seems like there's been an uptick in patchers and other gremlin-like activity. That's no good. So, I'm working on a few changes that will be deployed in the next few days:

In-game moderators

Since I cannot commit as much time to policing bad behavior, it's definitely time (well past time!) to bestow trusted players with some moderation power. This great responsibility will come with two powers for now: time-limited muting and restricting. Each usage of this will also create a permanent note, so game owners (and soon, other moderators) can see the history of any given gremlin. This also means we'll be able to monitor usage of muting and restricting to make sure that nobody is going on an extended power trip 😈

New game restrictions to prevent "forced server lagging"

Extreme server lagging can lead to duplication glitches, so we have to institute additional measures to try and prevent such things from happening. For now, this will include:

- Maximum of five pandoras at once
- Maximum of two hundred spawned enemies at once

I will post later this week when these changes are live. Hopefully we can bring a little more stability and cleanliness into the game for y'all!

Comments

• FlynnXDFlynnXD Posts: 1,231Member
    Sounds good.
  • TescosTescos SawConPosts: 211Member
    Nice, the mods are needed
  • Nulgath27Nulgath27 They call me PrymancerPosts: 139Member

So good to hear from you, hopefully the future mods could at least handle those patcher that has been patching since the start. Lets make deepworld great again :D

• MihirGamesMihirGames Lost in spacePosts: 290Member
    Yay mike is back!
  • WhatsHisHeadWhatsHisHead // Deepgate //Posts: 276Member

Hey Mike, Fall__ really wants the White Fur Coat to become a daily again because he missed it.

• IvoryIvory r/Deepworld ModeratorPosts: 97Member
    Fishbot said:

YOU HAVE TO LET US VOTE ON THE MODERATORS! Some people are not very nice and it would be terrible to have a moderator who abuses their powers. I'm not calling names out, but I think everyone should vote on who should be moderator so that only the most trustworthy players are chosen.

This is true, and we need to think objectively about each person. I'm not going to outright say that years of experience matters 100% (since I and MANY others have been here for 6 years) but it helps. The most important quality we have to vote on is the candidate's ability to separate emotion and logic, and make the right choice regarding the impact of someone's speech or action in this game.
    edited February 12

The Onyx Mass Weather Machine seems to be bugged in the sense of it not letting the plants grow under the "Always" precipitate option. Also, am I the only one that doesn't really notice a growth speed difference between the "normal" speed and "high" growth index?

• AMWhyAMWhy http://forums.deepworldgame.com/discussion/27517/the-kepler-colony-evacuationPosts: 1,214Member, Arbiter

I would like to put my own name forward as an in-game moderator. I am a father, a teacher by profession, and I have been described as lawful-good on more than one occasion.

The reason I am putting my name in the hat directly is that this decision shouldn't be treated lightly or become a popularity contest. You need players who want the job, can handle the power and who have no grudges against other players.

• DetechDetech Toronto, CanadaPosts: 1,995Member

I had two people in mind right away: AMWhy and Scientist.

Totally agree with AMWhy - this is hard work. Especially when tons of complaints will start coming in :)

• FrostyFrosty In your closet...Posts: 426Member

Personally I think it would be best if the mods were able to contact mike personally when a problem arises but what do I know. For anyone that confused with my giberish I think mods should have his number or something that he can reply to efficiently.

• vmh20vmh20 Minneapolis, MinnesotaPosts: 878Member

Thank you.

• LavaWareLavaWare Posts: 383Member
    Thank you.
  • RyanT_123RyanT_123 Posts: 6Member

I’m feeling up to it. Seems like a real challenge but if it’ll help you then I’m fine with that

• TealHyenaTealHyena SmoresPosts: 715Member
    edited February 13

I have a feeling this will turn into a popularity contest.

Edit: also thanks mike

• FishbotFishbot A strange place that I don't know how I got in.Posts: 263Member
    TealHyena said:

Obviously it will.

I think that the new administrators should be one or two of the people who are moderators on the forums, like @Sirentist or @Everywhen because they have already been trustworthy moderators for years, and since they are really active, it would only make sense to make them administrators of Deepworld.
  • TescosTescos SawConPosts: 211Member
    Fishbot said:

TealHyena said:

Obviously it will.

I think that the new administrators should be one or two of the people who are moderators on the forums, like @Sirentist or @Everywhen because they have already been trustworthy moderators for years, and since they are really active, it would only make sense to make them administrators of Deepworld.
    Sure, they're trustworthy.

But, Sirentist is almost never in public worlds so whats the point? And Everywhen I rarely see him and I'm on everyday
  • SirentistSirentist Posts: 9,029Member, Moderator, Arbiter
    Tescos said:

But, Sirentist is almost never in public worlds so whats the point?

The reason I'm not in public worlds is because they're so toxic. And for some reason, certain people seem to suddenly act extra-toxic if I appear.
  • MihirGamesMihirGames Lost in spacePosts: 290Member
    I think mods should also get undercover names if that’s the case
  • ForestGumpForestGump Living On A Forest rn, Hbu?Posts: 337Member

Sirentist is the one

and AMwhy

• LilyabcLilyabc Kpop?Posts: 999Member

I think mods should also get undercover names if that’s the case

I agree with this. I think all the mods should have an undercover account that no one will know but themselves and mods mods.
    edited February 13

All of the mods that are appointed should log on at least 30 mins a day ( in my mind ) in-order to keep up with all that is going on. I also agree with @MihirGames , the mods as well as devs should all have secret undercover accounts/names that only the Bytebin staff know.

• EverywhenEverywhen Join the DW discord: https://discord.gg/eBPGd3WPosts: 5,107Member, Moderator, Arbiter
    edited February 13
    Sirentist said:

Tescos said:

But, Sirentist is almost never in public worlds so whats the point?

The reason I'm not in public worlds is because they're so toxic. And for some reason, certain people seem to suddenly act extra-toxic if I appear.
    This, without the extra toxicity :( Poor Sirentist :(
    I kinda got tired of having to mute (for me, not admin mute) people just talking about NSFW stuff casually in game, so when I'm online (although less atm cause I have a major PhD deadline fast approaching), I tend to just work a bit more on building projects or world clearing.
  • IronManArcherIronManArcher STEEEEEEEEEEAM JEETSPosts: 2,764Member
    I too vote Sirentist as one of them. She’s already had experience moderating, and she’s trustworthy.

I too vote Sirentist as one of them. She’s already had experience moderating, and she’s trustworthy.

She never plays in public worlds tho, she would only get biased view points on in-game issues. No offence to Sirentist whatsoever
    edited February 13

You make a point right there, even though we all know sirentist has been an experienced moderator, there’s certain limit she could only do or understand, and not everyone in general. Mindset or ideas could be quite narrowed from there.

edited February 13

And don’t see any reason why no one could be a moderator if they are trustworthy, willing to spend their free time and spend their time to help out the community, to step up and ensure deepworld from corruptions which in its current state right now, so that no one is having any extra advantages of the game. Just saying from my point of view because i couldnt take patcher mining faster than me welp