Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deepworld is back online after a system outage. Thanks for your patience.

Game Art Tips! Animation 101: Bouncing Ball Part 1

SystemSystem Posts: 2

imageGame Art Tips! Animation 101: Bouncing Ball Part 1

A short while ago one of our intrepid Deepworlders asked if I would post a tutorial on creating a character’s walk cycle. I’d love to do so, and I plan to - but once I started writing out the steps, I...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Kukky2Kukky2 WinterPosts: 2,333Member
    Nice quinn
  • av6houndav6hound Potato SaladiaPosts: 1,802Member
    Very nice indeed
  • DaMorlockDaMorlock Posts: 3,641Member, Arbiter
    I got up to the part where you rotate the ball at frame 30, but it doesn't move when I click on play...
  • stingerbee5000stingerbee5000 In a hive.Posts: 2,911Member, Arbiter
    A couple years ago, I once took a course in animation under a retired professional who once worked for a company in the late 1950s and animated a ball bouncing using cels and acrylic paint.

I was just wondering if you have tried traditional animation and which one you prefer and why, if you don't mind me asking.
  • CannogabangCannogabang Posts: 752Member
    Nice!!
  • jellysnakejellysnake http://jellysnake.net/Posts: 6,328Member
    This is amazing
    and complicated
  • Mutch95Mutch95 Posts: 437Member
    Couldn't wait after I asked thanks for this ^.^
  • quinnstephensquinnstephens Posts: 464Administrator

I got up to the part where you rotate the ball at frame 30, but it doesn't move when I click on play...

Make sure to go back to frame 0 before you play - otherwise the timeline will keep playing toward infinity. You can turn on the Loop feature to prevent that from happening.

I was just wondering if you have tried traditional animation and which one you prefer and why, if you don't mind me asking.

I made some clay animation videos from when I was around 11 through high school, and while it was fun to physically build the worlds of my little movies, I much prefer the computer approach. Being able to tweak and improve animations after the fact is a huge gain. I suppose you can do that with cel animation too, but I also like not having to create all of the inbetween drawings; even with computer assistance, animation is very time-consuming. And many of the tools allow you to do traditional frame-by-frame drawings anyway :)

• DaMorlockDaMorlock Posts: 3,641Member, Arbiter

Make sure to go back to frame 0 before you play - otherwise the timeline will keep playing toward infinity. You can turn on the Loop feature to prevent that from happening.

It's still not working... :-/
  • LarkLark Posts: 202Member
    I cant install Spine on my windows vista. @quinnstephens
    If you guys are having Spine issues, try posting a question on the Esoteric forums. The developers are really responsive.

http://esotericsoftware.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
  • LarkLark Posts: 202Member
    thanks @quinnstephens for a fast reply
  • SirentistSirentist Posts: 9,076Member, Moderator, Arbiter
    I downloaded and installed this and when I try to open the application (there are two versions of the application) one tells me I need X11 and the other tells me I need a Java SE6 runtime.

I'm super paranoid about installing new stuff onto my computer. I know I don't want to install the X11 thing. But is the runtime thing something safe and harmless?

*tries to not look like a crazy paranoid technophobe*
    I use the "system Java" version of Spine, which is what I'm guessing requires the Java SE 6 runtime for you. I would go ahead and install it. The only thing you should be careful of with Java, as far as I know, is running applets on potentially malicious sites (much like Flash). But you can disable it in your browser if it makes you feel better.
    Okay.

*trusts quinn and marches gallantly off to hit the "Install" button*
  • GuardofthedragonGuardofthedragon Stargate CommandPosts: 2,623Member
    Is this compatible with flash 7?

Is this compatible with flash 7?

Do you mean the exported animation data?
    I mean the program in general
    edited June 2013
    Not sure what you mean. Spine is a standalone Java app. It doesn't hook directly into Flash or anything, although you could export graphics from Flash and animate them in Spine. You can also run Spine animations within a Flash game or app, by using one of the Actionscript 3 runtimes people have put together: http://esotericsoftware.com/spine-runtimes

Flash 7 is pretty ancient by this point, though - didn't it use Actionscript 2? If you wanted to create an app in Flash 7 and use Spine data, you'd have to write your own Actionscript 2 runtime, since I'm sure no one else is going to. Sounds pretty painful to me :P If you just wanted to do your graphics in Flash 7 and export them as .png files to bring into Spine, though, I don't see a problem there.
    edited June 2013
    Okay I have installed the java runtime thingee. Now when I try to follow the instructions in the animation post and trace my way to the ball.png file in order to open it, it shows as greyed out and I'm unable to select it. (In fact it appears all individual files are showing as greyed out -- I can only click on folders.) Do I need to restart or something? I'm gonna restart just in case.

*scowls and refuses to feel like an idiot, mostly*

Edited to add:

Okay, huh. Still not able to open the ball.png file. I even put it into the "Spine Trial" folder. Cannot open any of the .png files included by the Spine program itself in the example folders. Weird! Ah well ...
    Select the folder - not the file - and Spine will import everything in that folder.
    Oh. Yeah I just went back to your post and reread and saw that. And people wonder why I'm a technophobe. Which I'm totally not. *scowls*
    Oh! Silly Silly me. Java 7! Not Flash 7! Silly Guard.

Oh! Silly Silly me. Java 7! Not Flash 7! Silly Guard.

Ah, that makes more sense. I don't know the answer, but that's a good one to direct to Esoteric Software on their forums.